The re-creation of Whitespace was a process of distillation.
The three-room brick carriage house dates from 1893. The ceiling had aged to a pale brown patina. Emptying the space, uncovering the windows, and cleaning the walls uncovered a silver grey paint partially covering the brick.
Within this setting, the program was to provide for the presentation of art objects, images, and projections. The context was a given, and the objective was to utilize and amplify its presence without nostalgia. The project starts when you pass through the new threshold of custom glass and steel doors.
Infrastructure for air, power, and sound were inconspicuously inserted to provide a viable facility for the display of art. Pre-existing holes, haphazardly cut into the ceiling, were utilized. Custom light fixtures were fabricated as utilitarian devices.
Six new wall panels are cantilevered off of the brick walls. Framed in steel, they are painted white and touch neither the ceiling nor the floor. One of the six panels is a 14'-6" long, fully cantilevered concealed steel truss that rotates 90 degrees to change the space from path to destination.
Through the uncovered windows, natural light spills from behind the new panels, floating these surfaces.
2007 AIA Georgia Design Merit Award